ASSOCIATION OF GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTANTS

ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER

MINUTES 

       

Chapter Executive Committee Meeting

August 9, 2016

 

 

BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:                        Matt Bone, President

                                                                        Javier Machuca, President Elect

Victor Kraft, Treasurer

Amy Carter, Secretary

Heather Prudhomme, Webmaster

Jeff Brown, CGFM Chair

                                                                        Donna Sandoval, Accountability Chair (phone)

Marla Gorena, Education Chair

Jennifer Baca, Newsletter Chair

 

PLACE & TIME:

 

The AGA Albuquerque Chapter Executive Committee held a regular board meeting on August 9, 2016, 5:30 p.m., at the RPC CPAs and Consultants, LLP Offices, 2700 San Pedro NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110.

 

1.  CALL TO ORDER; ESTABLISH QUORUM

 

President Matt Bone called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. More than four members of the Chapter Executive Committee (CEC) were present and a quorum was established.

 

 

2.  REVIEW/APPROVAL OF MEETING MINUTES

 

The minutes from the July 7, 2016 meeting were approved.

 

3.  TREASURERÕS REPORT

 

Victor emailed the bank reconciliation and draft of the budget for the program year prior to the meeting.  The chapter should have approximately $18K by the end of August.  The budget was tentatively set for the education events and the executive committee will be cognizant of staying within budget for the program year.  The budget was approved.

 

4.  CHAPTER BUSINESS

 

Discussion regarding the following:

CEC members and guest will be attending the Balloon Fiesta on October 6.

ACTION ITEM- CEC members need to pay the AR by the end of August for the additional tickets purchased for guests.

Discussion of permanent records and the retention period requirement.  The CEC determined that the documents will continue to be scanned and retained for 6 years.  Anything over 6 years, including CPE related material will be destroyed.

 

ACTION ITEM- Jeff to send Matt the list from National as to the record retention requirements.

 

 

A summary of the National PDT was provided by Heather, Marla and Jeff. 

 

Marla spoke to vendors that may have interest in our PDT, we discussed the possibility of these vendors as potential speakers as well.

 

ACTION ITEM- Marla to send sponsorship letters to the vendors in preparation of the upcoming PDT. 

 

Discussion over providing a separate program for the members in federal government at the same location and time of the PDT rather than a separate track. We would have the same venue, such as breaks and lunch.  We also discussed that the CGFM appeared to pull in members from the federal government.

 

Jeff noted that Hawaii appeared to have great success with partnering with the Universities

 

ACTION ITEM- Jeff to track someone from the Hawaii chapter and inquire

 

We also discussed the possibly decreasing the amount of money we spend on snacks for the breaks at the PDT.

 

5.  EDUCATION CHAIR REPORT

 

Marla announced that our October seminar is still open because the National President was already booked for this month.  The National President offered Bobby Derrek to come in his place.  The CEC decided that a more meaningful topic for the October seminar would be the Preparation of a MD&A and financial statement footnotes.  If Bobby Derrek were to come, we could give a brief introduction of the National events. 

ACTION ITEM- CEC members to find speakers for this seminar.

 

Marla sent the RFP out to the Hyatt downtown, Sandia Resort and the Tamaya..

ACTION ITEM- Marla to send the breakout of the responses to the RFP

 

6.  CGFM CHAIR REPORT

 

Jeff provided an update on discussions with the UNM Director of Dual Education.  UNM is looking into continuing education for CGFM.  A second meeting was set up with the Director of Accounting at Anderson and others.  UNM is also looking into working CGFM into their current curriculum, and having dedicated CGFM courses.  National also has offered support in providing materials at bulk costs that can be used as textbooks.

 

ACTION ITEM- Victor to provide Jeff his more current manual.

 

11.  WEBMASTER CHAIR

 

Heather reported that John will be billing for 5 additional hours for the help with the website.  The monthly maintenance agreement has been budgeted for and Heather plans to negotiate the monthly fee with John.

 

12.  NEWSLETTER CHAIR

 

Jennifer needs information for the upcoming newsletter

ACTION ITEM- Jeff to pull something for the CGFM corner

 

13.  NEXT CEC MEETING

 

The next CEC meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 6, 2016, at 5:30 p.m. at the RPC CPAs and Consultants, LLP Offices, 2700 San Pedro NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110.